Looking for a way to support young people connecting to career opportunities? The Human Services Department’s Seattle Youth Employment Program (SYEP) has a goal to place 250 youth & young adults in internships this summer and needs your help connecting with potential partner employers in developing these opportunities. Partner employers do not have to be government entities and we’re seeking partnerships with employers in a variety of industries, including: technology, healthcare, transportation, and more.
Our goal is to increase youth and young adults’ ability to pursue careers that pay well and are meaningful to them.
SYEP Interns are placed in structured, paid work settings within businesses, nonprofits, and City departments to apply their knowledge, gain hands-on experience, develop professional connections, and build their resume.
Interested in Hosting an SYEP Intern?
- SYEP supports young people (ages 16 to 24) from qualifying-income households and communities that experience racial, social, and economic disparities.
- The program runs from July 5 to August 15, 2023, and interns are placed at your organization through SYEP’s holistic placement process.
- Interns are provided 150 hours of paid employment/training and will be paid a minimum wage of $18.69 per hour by SYEP.
- Employers can subsidize wages which supports more youth to be employed in the program.
- The employer supervisor and intern will create a schedule that works for both the intern and the organization.
- Employer supervisors will coach and mentor your intern(s), track their work hours, and support interns in learning workplace skills.
- There will be an SYEP Youth Development Counselor to support each intern and their employer supervisor during the length of the program.
- Interns receive support services (i.e., transportation, work attire, food stipends, etc.) to help set them up for success!
- For more information review the SYEP Employer FAQ.
How to Apply:
- Complete the SYEP Employer Interest Form.
- Share the specifics of your proposed internship(s). This form will help us better gauge the interest and opportunities available, and better help facilitate the application process.
- Complete the SYEP Employer Application by April 12, 2023.
- Once the Interest Form is completed, a member of our Employer Engagement team will review the form and reach out with any questions and/or provide a link to fill out the required Employer Application.
- Applications must be completed by April 12, 2023, to be considered for hosting interns this summer.
- If needed, we will be hosting informational sessions for interested employers to receive more information and/or application support. Please sign up here or view the attachment for more details.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact (206) 386-1375 or SYEPEMPRelations@seattle.gov.