Our Seattle Youth Employment Program (SYEP) is currently recruiting for its Health Careers Youth Project. This is an educational opportunity that will allow youth to earn college credit and potentially earn their Nursing Assistant Certified (NAC) license.
Accepted high school students will be enrolled in an eight-week summer quarter professional level nursing assistant certified (NAC) courses from June 25 through August 20. Two different sites are available with one at North Seattle Community College (NSCC) and the other at Seattle Central Community College (SCCC). All tuition, books and equipment will be covered by SYEP. Students will earn college credits upon successful completion of the course and if approved by their high school counselors, students can earn high school credits.
- Will be 17 or 18 years old by June 1, 2012
- Lives in Seattle city limits
- Currently attends a Seattle public high school
- Low-income status
- Possesses educational and/or employment barriers
- Must pass a background check
In addition to the eligibility criteria listed above, youth must possess at least one of the following educational and/or employment barriers:
- Behind in school credits (not at right grade level for your age)
- At risk for dropping out of school
- Failed one or more math or language arts class(es)
- Have an IEP, enrolled in modified/IEP classes, or have a documented disability
- Have an identified, documented mental health issue
- Be homeless or have no stable housing
- Be in foster care
- Be a pregnant or parenting youth
- Live in SHA or Section 8 housing
- Be affected domestic violence/abuse
How are participants selected?
- Turn in a complete application (which require current immunizations and a recommendation letter)
- Pass a math and reading skills test, which will be scheduled by the Coordinator
- Complete a WIA Application and determined to be eligible
- Attend a Mandatory Orientation on June 2 (SCCC) or June 9 (NSCC) (the date of the orientation will be determined at a later date).
Applications are available at the SYEP office located in the Central Building, 810 Third Avenue, Suite 420, Seattle, 98104. Applications are accepted until all spaces are filled.
For questions, contact Christine Torres-Clara at 206-386-1383 or firstname.lastname@example.org.